Friday, December 11, 2009

Brrr

I’m sitting at a local café called Mate Factor. Interesting group of people that I haven’t completely made my mind up about. I’m here supposedly studying for my final final. Subject: Macroeconomics and International trade.
I don’t know if it’s the subject matter, the pregnancy, the hour or what but it seems I’ve completely lost my ability to concentrate on studying for more than 30 minutes. It’s a good thing there is no free-wi-fi here, otherwise I wouldn’t have studied at all. As it is, I’m just getting around to writing a post.

Events from the past week:
(1) Winter has finally arrived. It started with a snowstorm the night between Monday and Tuesday. We woke up on Tuesday to a totally white Ithaca. However the snow melted pretty quickly because Tuesday wasn’t actually that cold. Then today, the cold arrived.
It’s amazing how I managed to forget just how cold it can actually get here. I guess it’s sort of like how women forget how painful labor was.
(2) Sunday a few friends at school through me a baby shower. It was actually a pretty big event, as showers go apparently – about 30 girls in all. It was really fun, getting everyone together, getting gifts… I didn’t realize before hand, but apparently part of the whole shower tradition is that is thrown by friends of the mother to be in honor of the woman, so she is not expected to do anything of it. In fact, it is often thrown as a surprise party. That “don’t be involved” part was a bit strange for me. I have a hard time with people doing that type of stuff for me without me helping at all. I finally convinced the organizers to let Uri make muffins, and, unknown to them, I helped him out. (pictures will be uploaded at a later time)

Events for next week:
We’re heading out of Ithaca for the week. First we’ll head to Boston, mainly so that I could have a chance to meet with some people at Ocean Spray (if any of you have forgotten, I am looking for a job for post-graduation). Then we’ll head down to NYC to visit friends, eat in some good restaurants and just generally be in a city with more than 1 high-raise.
After that we’ll head back to Ithaca and we’ll be here pretty much the entire time. I hope I’ll be able to bring myself to leave the house when in get cold.

No comments: