Friday, June 18, 2010

Outsmarting telecomm

To all who do not know yet - Uri, Or and I are coming to Israel!!!

Are we returning home and ending our American adventure or is this just a visit?

The frustrating answer is that we don't know. While in Israel I'll look for a job both in Israel and in the US and we'll see what happens.
The one question that we're avoiding is what will happen when (note: not if) companies want me to come in to interview. We'll deal with that when we have too.
Meanwhile, I was worried about how companies could reach me via phone to my cellphone in Israel. The key word here being WAS. Here is what I did:
Preliminary steps:
(a) Get a Google voice account
(b) Set up a Jajah account
Then, to out-smart international calling:
(1) Enter your Google voice number as one of your phone numbers in Jajah.
(2) Find the Jajah Direct number of the international number you want people to reach you at.
(3) Go to your Google voice account and enter the number you got in step 2
(4) This step is vital: In the "call" tab in you Google voice account turn call screening off and select to display your Google voice number in your incoming caller ID.

Voila! Now when someone calls your Google voice number, Google voice calls your Jajah direct number and Jajah connects the caller to your international cell phone!

After I got it to work, I was so proud of myself! I felt I had to let someone at Google know, but then I thought that if I did that, they would somehow find a way to block it. So, if anyone that works at Google is reading this, SHHH!

No comments: