Thursday, November 6, 2008

The little engine that could

So... a comment on the recent elections - I'll try to keep it short.
After months and months of tracking the elections through "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" (and in the last few months "spying on the enemy" and watching Fox News), the Big Day finally arrived.
From my perspective, the day could have just gone by - naturally, it effects me, and I try to keep up with the news... but let's not kid ourselves - if I have any time to spare watching TV or reading the paper, I would rather watch "HEROES" or read the marketplace section of the WSJ.
But for all the Americans, and for Uri, it was a very engaging experience. We ended up going to see the results with a group of married couples from the school. It was a very interesting experience. Especially after it was clear Obama won. I think the sentence that resonated with me the most was "I can feel proud to be an American again".
I can certainly understand why this is - not only is Obama someone that you can be proud to call you leader, but also I think Americans can be proud that their country has finally overcome this societal hurdle.
On the flip side - there were also tears shed. I found myself thinking whether I could get so excited about elections in Israel and reached the conclusion that probably not. Uri said it's because I'm too cynical - and in a historic moment, I would probably find some joke to crack. He's probably right.

1 comment:

Kalugny said...

Not a long time from now you might get a chance.
And regretfully, we have no great ideals to live up too, so the only person who might cry these coming elections will be Bibi.