Saturday, August 30, 2008

It's good to invest in Dragons

Hello friends and family! This is Uri writing. Yes, this is not a mistake. I am using a voice recognition software that is called dragon.
It allows me to talk to the computer and the computer is supposed to understand what I'm talking and write it down. So far it's 70% accurate.
It's really fun to use. It gives me a whole new medium to communicate with you, but this way of communicating is new to me so please be patient. This post is not going to be as amusing as my wife posts I don't have the years of experience she has as a cynic and razor-sharp writer.

So what's going on with me? It's hard to tell, I have made good friends here and I like the city, but I still haven't found exactly what I am going to do here, and it's not easy to be in a state of uncertainty. But there are a couple of possibilities:

1) to be a private chef - that means to cook for families and to fill up their refrigerator with food for the whole week. I hope to have between three to five families every week. This idea seems to be the most realistic one, but it needs a lot of work and marketing
2) to be a teacher or substitute teacher. to teach in New York you have to have a diploma from New York State and that could be tricky but I am going to check it out
3) to be a cook in a restaurant, there are plenty of good restaurants in Ithaca area, but I am not sure that I have the experience to start as a cook and I'm not sure I want to start in lower capacity

These are pretty much my options here work-wise. But I have lots of other things to do here, for example I am working with the head of the diversity office on a project that is supposed to expose the student in the business school to other cultures. She offered me this project after she heard of my Masters Degree in conflict resolution and mediation. We had a sit down for two hours. It was really fun, she's a very nice person. It was fun using my intellect and experience and I got some good feedback from her and now where are working on this project together. So you can see I'm trying to keep myself busy.

So how was this post? It was really a good experience for me to write on my own. I am going to give this post to Tamar to check for any big mistakes but it's going to stay pretty much as I wrote it so you can see how the program works.

Hugs and kisses to anyone that I usually give hugs and kisses to and a manly handshake to the rest of you.

I will sign out with my usual (~`face uri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there...
congratulations on the new software, seems to work good.
i wanted to reply to tamar's post about the mingeling classes, but couldn't since this is blocked for me at work. in a word: sounds awfull...:)
I have installed skype, haven't tested it yet but it should work. for the time being, uri seems offline.
my skype username is uri_van_creveld, so check it out. What's the time differences? when should I expect to see you online?
...

Well....
I guess i'll be going to sleep now.
Bye Bye, and nighty night.
Uri

Kalugny said...

Somehow I thought this was going to be about D&D.
Did you find a group in Ithica?