Saturday, August 15, 2009

Michigan is long

To counter yesterday’s long post, and also since it’s the Sabbath and you’re not supposed to be reading anyway, today’s post will be very short.
The day was marked by us making our way through the Lower Michigan Peninsula. On the way, we stopped to hike in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. This park, like Warren Dunes and others on the shores of Lake Michigan has many sand dunes, but since we already hiked up a sand dune, we opted for a more forest type trail called the alligator trail. It was a nice hike; we saw so many types of mushrooms, that at a certain point I felt like we might find the village the Smurfs live in.
I feel obligated to mention food now… so I’ll note that it’s cherry season in Michigan. Since we were driving on state highways (which are actually pretty small roads) and country roads (even smaller roads) we saw a lot of farm stands selling cherries and peaches. I couldn’t resist the urge to by some cherries, and they are some of the best cherries I’ve ever tasted. They helped me considerably in resisting the urge to stop at stands offering cherry pie. Every time we passed such a stand I took a couple of cherries, and we drove on. They also provided a nice pastime while we were on the hike since, if you didn’t read this in-between the lines, the most interesting thing there were mushrooms (which can, I guess be very interesting, but we’re too good for that). After we took a small break to eat some cherries we had a little pit-spitting contest. Guess who one? Yes – despite the laws of classical mechanics, which state (if I remember correctly) that Uri should have won due to his height advantage – I won!
Anyway, at the very end of the day we did cross from the Lower Michigan Peninsula to the Upper Peninsula, and now we are right at the border, though still in the US. So today we will be crossing, and tomorrow’s post will be from Canada [I’m preparing you, since I’m sure everything, including my writing will be very different ;)]. Here is the plan for the rest of the trip:

View Larger Map

No comments: