Saturday, August 8, 2009

Road Trip

This post was started Tuesday, August 4th, continued and finished Saturday, August 8th. Published as soon as we had internet access.

So a quick recap on the 2 and some weeks since my last post: I finally finished my presentation, and gave it. It went fantastically well. Then Uri came back, and it was a Saturday when we headed back to Ithaca, stopping in Boston for dim sum with a few friends, and then taking a slower, scenic route through historic Concord, Sturbridge (that was oddly almost sold out) and Albany. Once in Ithaca, it was time to relax, sort of.

For the past week, we’ve been relaxing, and cleaning and getting all sorts of loose ends tied. Yariv, a friend from Israel, moved to town. He’ll be here for the next 5 years. So, good people that we are, we’ve been helping him “adjust”. It started Sunday when he came over and I made pancakes, then we helped him take stuff Uri’s been collecting for him for the past couple of months (blankets, pillows, tableware, kitchenware etc.), and then we took him to Wegmans. Granted, he probably could have done the latter himself, but the abundance can be overwhelming, so I think we helped out.

Monday was supposed to be the only nice day of the week (as it turned out, the rest of the week was pretty good too) , so we went hiking in Watkins Glen (Yariv took a break from adjusting and came along). The park is supposedly the most beautiful of all the local parks/ gorges. “Supposedly” not because it wasn’t beautiful, but because I haven’t been to all of them to judge the truthfulness of that statement. As I said, it was indeed beautiful, the gorge itself is quite deep and the rock formation is very beautiful, all the trees are green and there are waterfalls everywhere. Part of the fun of Watkins Glen is that there are several places you can walk behind waterfalls.

After wards we headed back home. We found a little Italian bakery that makes cannoli – a surprisingly good find considering Watkins Glen is famous mostly for the gorge and car racing. Also, since I had told one of our Israeli friends who sent me a blueberry muffins recipe, that if we find a fruit stand on the road, I’ll buy blueberries and make the muffins the focus of the trip back was looking for stands. There actually weren’t as many as I thought there would be and those we did find were very small and not that attractive. I was about to give up when 10 minutes from Ithaca I was still blueberry-less but then we saw a sign for a u-pick farm. That means it’s a farm that lets you pick the fruit/ vegetables yourself. Like the wild and crazy guys that we are – we were spontaneous and stopped to pick fruit. They actually didn’t have blueberries to pick, those they only sold, but we did pick raspberries. I think we probably ate more than we collected into the container (lucky thing too, because about 2 days later they all were moldy).

Good thing for that fruit too – since it turned out there were no batteries in the camera, the only leftovers I have from the day are the pictures of the raspberry pan-cake and the blueberry muffins I made.






Now, almost a week later, Yariv is starting to settle in, and we headed out on our long talked about road trip. I know I didn’t talk about it here, but since my internship ended (and even a bit before) everytime someone has asked me “what are you going to do now?” I ‘ve been saying that we’re planning a road trip. Here is the general route:

View Larger Map
Now I‘m writing from the road, we already passed through Buffalo. We stopped there for dinner at a place we saw on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations (BTW – it’s our new favorite show). Bourdain talked about this place’s Roast beef sandwich, which was indeed good, but I thought the best part was actually the German Potato Salad. The Goulash was pretty good too. Now we’re on the road again, heading towards Detroit. Initially I thought we would drive through Canada, but we’re taking the longer route staying in the USA. Taking border control into consideration, it would probably take the same amount of time, plus apparently we don’t have Ontario in the GPS.
More pictures of food and tales of hiking tomorrow, good night.

No comments: