Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wednesdays with Dorie

Have you ever had one of those days where you don’t really feel the need or have the desire to leave the house? I had one of those yesterday. I know that TV and movies usually associate that with being depressed. Trust me, that was not the case. It was more that having been out of the house for so long, it was just nice to stay indoors. Also, I just really had no reason to leave. Around 4 pm that reason finally came. I had to go out to buy heavy cream. Everybody is starting to come back to town before school starts, and Dani (who goes to the business school with me) and Yael (formarly his girlfriend and currently his wife) came back from Colorado, where Dani did his internship. So we had them over for dinner. It was nice seeing them again and catching up.
The dinner itself was great – Uri made roast beef from a sirloin roast that he marinated a bit in olive oil and mustard. As a side we had corn on the cob, a big green salad and some garlicky oven fries. To the cooks out there, especially those who are married to people who love fries, I recommend this recipe (You can find it, with pictures here). They came out really great, despite the fact that mid-way in making them the garlic press broke. But that doesn’t really have anything to do with the fries, I think it has more to do with Eitan using it garlic press as a lobster hammer a while ago.
Small note: The recipe in the link is a bit different from the original (did someone say scared of copyright?).
1. The original recipe called for 6 cloves of garlic, not 8,
2. You can use vegetable oil, it really does not have to be olive oil.
3. Originally it was 2 tbsp of cornstarch, not 3
For dessert, Uri said he wanted something chocolaty. I was feeling a bit more decadent then a simple chocolate cake, so I made a “Tart Noir” from Baking by Dorie Greenspan, or simply put a made a chocolate tart with a chocolate base.
Making chocolate pie dough is something that I’ve done may times, and so I’ve had enough experience to develop the opinion that the extra effort of chilling the raw dough and then rolling it out rather then quickly pushing it to the corners of the tart pan does actually give you superior results in the texture of the dough in the finished pie. Despite this, I decided to follow Dorie’s recipe to the letter, and go with the shortcut. My reasoning? Well Dorie has a huge following; there are dozens of food bloggers who make her recipe on a weekly basis. Here for instance, you’ll find a post about the week they made her chocolate cream pie (not the same as the one I made, though the pie dough is the same). So I wanted to see – maybe there was something in her recipe that would change my mind. The tart came out very good (and pretty), though I put a bit too much salt in the dough (oops). As for the dough itself – Dorie did not make me a believer. The dough was crumbly instead of flakey, and was much thicker than it would have been had I rolled it out. I will say though that it took me under 30 minutes of actually prep time from start to finish (pie dough and filling)– so at least there’s that.

Recipe?
The dough you have in the link (here it is again), the filling is as follows:
8 ounces of good chocolate
250 ml of heavy cream
4 tbsp of butter
Chop the chocolate, heat the cream, pour half of the hot cream over the chocolate, stir until all melted, and then pour the other half. Stir in the butter a bit at a time, stir until smooth and lovely. Pour in the chilled pie shell, refrigerate. Take out 30 minutes before serving.

No comments: