Saturday, March 7, 2009

petitio principii

I have a very vivid memory of my mom, sitting in the kitchen of the house that we lived in in Maryland (11703 Greenlane Dr.), writing a letter to her mom.  She’s sitting at the kitchen table – a heavy round wooden table, the room is lit in neon lights, the floor is a laminate blue and off-white checkered floor and she’s writing a letter on a special kind of paper that you would fold into three and it itself would become the envelope.  I remember it was blue.  When I picture it in my head I even think of my mom’s hand writing, and how it’s always so round and neat and the line always straight, despite the fact that the paper was blank. 

The reason I remember this so distinctly is because this was something that would happen every day.  Every single day my mom would right to her mom and tell her what happened to us that day. 

I recalled this whole thing last week and thought to myself that I should start doing the same thing.  Not writing an actual letter but blogging every day.  This was I could let you guys (my captive following) in on the small details, rather than not blogging about the big things, or writing huge ginormous blogs because I need to explain context etc. There are other things I promised myself I’d do (like spend 30 min a day at the gym, since I’m getting pretty ginormous too).  Well, needless to say that neither happened.  I’ve been finding really good excuses for the gym part, and then using that as an excuse for the blogging part.  But since now I’m sitting at Sage and not going to the gym (I’m really tiered and my legs hurt) I thought at least I would blog.  Maybe if I start doing this every day, I’ll actually go to the gym everyday too. 

3 comments:

Zarqoun said...

hear hear!

Unknown said...

מקסים

lior said...

typo - "I’m really tiered"

I Like the post, indeed if you write every day then you don't have to worry about context so much. I remember those envelopes too, I used them when my first girlfriend (Ayelet) moved to Colorado for a year.