Monday, March 16, 2009

Sping Break - WooHoo!

Today brings another late not post.  Though it’s not because I’ve spent all day working, but just the opposite – I’ve spent all day doing mostly nothing, and so I didn’t even think of it.  
Uri and I spent most of today together, and I just tagged along with his normal Monday routine, interrupting where possible.  We went to Wal-Mart and bought a huge box that is our new kitchen extension (fits nicely into the nook in the wall in front of our front door.  When I say huge, I mean it – I could easily fit inside, and have enough wiggle room to read a book. 
Then we went to Wegmans to buy groceries for home and for Kavita.  I did our shopping and Uri did hers, and despite the fact that it was totally separate, he still forgot multiple things he had to buy.  He claims it was because of me… and initially I thought that was an unfair claim, but if you look at it scientifically, I was the only variable… so what can you say?  
It was really one of those moments where you wish you were living in a stupid sitcom.  Because then, instead of getting upset at the fact that you have to drive downtown again, you could give a goofy look, and the “live” studio audience would laugh, and all will be right with the world.  But that didn’t happen, he went down to Wegmans again and I meanwhile cleaned the refrigerator (it’s sick that this is my idea of fun things to do during Spring Break).  
Then I went to the gym (for almost 2 hours!), came back, had a friendly conversation with our neighbor (imagine that, I was at home at an hour where sane people are actually out and about), made a salad, Uri and I each heated up leftovers and had dinner all before 9 pm.  Amazing.  

Oh – two comments about other things that happened today:
1. I returned a wine glass to Bon Ton.  I had bought a set of 4 glasses, and when I got home one was broken.  It took me a week but I returned it, and picked up another identical set.  Exactly identical – because here too, one was broken.  Needless to say in both times the broken glass was the last of the 4 that I unwrapped.  Well, I was really fed up with wrapping and unwrapping wine glasses, so I decided I would put my foot down, and demand they let me exchange just the one glass.  It took me two weeks to get around to it, but this morning I called them.  I was really expecting a fight – but nothing, it was so obvious to them that they would exchange the one glass.  Hmm... I love it when the customer is always right.
2. I had written a while back to a very cool company named Peeled Snacks.  Today I got an email from their head of marketing/ HR/ Blogger, it was pretty funny in the tone that it was written in  – so I thought I'd share.  Just to put it in context – their emails for some reason get sent to my junk mail, or never even make it there:

Subject: Peeling Tamar

Hi Tamar,

I'm not sure if you received my last email, but I'm interested in talking with you and learning more about your current goals and seeing if there's a fit.  I assume that you're currently in Ithaca, so a phone conversation would probably be the best thing, unless you expect to be in New York City soon.  Please let me know of your availability this week and we'll work something out.  And if this email is lost to the Internet, well that's really too bad.  All the best from New York City,

Ian Kelleher, Peeled Snacks HR guy and then some

Read the Peeled Skinny, Peeled Snacks' Blog! http://www.peeledsnacks.com/blog 646-290-5313 ian@peeledsnacks.com

1 comment:

lior said...

Hey Tamar, I'm glad to see you had a few days off, even if you spent some of the time (Better spent in front of the TV) cleaning the fridge. When we last bought wine glasses, Lilach only found 4 of the same kind, and we still had a store credit. So they promised her they'd order the exact same glasses. It took 8 months and when Lilach bought the other glasses home, of course they were of a different model. Here in Israel the rule is "the customer is always fucked"